Shared from the 6/20/2018 Westside Weekly eEdition

HENLEY BEACH

‘Mourners’ ring death knell over phone tower

Picture

Artist Andrew Baines, centre, and Henley Beach residents Heather Flanagan and Angela Vaughan will take part in a mock funeral to ”mourn the death” of the suburb following the erection of a mobile phone tower. PICTURE: AAP/ROY VANDERVEGT

RESIDENTS will stage a mock funeral to “mourn the death” of Henley Beach’s heritage after they lost their fight to prevent a phone tower from being built.

Up to 100 residents will dress in top hats and ring a mourner’s bell to lament what they describe as the loss of Henley Beach’s history.

Earlier this month, Telstra erected a 35m phone tower on East Tce.

It went ahead after residents lost their appeal to stop the tower – which they argued would be a blight on the heritage street – in the Environment, Resources and Development Court.

Now, Grange artist Andrew Baines has organised a funeral to “bury our history with a bit of respect” at 9.45am this Sunday, June 24.

Mr Baines said he expected up to 100 locals to join a procession from the Fulham Uniting Church on Military Rd to the tower, which has been constructed on the site of a Telstra-owned building at 73 East Tce.

He said mourners would ring a large bell as they marched towards the phone tower.

A celebrant would give a eulogy and a singer would perform Barbra Streisand’s

The Way We Were.

Mr Baines has requested all “mourners” come dressed in black with a top hat optional.

“It (the tower) is a symbol of big business screwing the little person again,” Mr Baines said.

“We’ve accepted our defeat so let’s bury our history with a bit of respect.

“It’s more of a theatrical event because it’s done and dusted and there’s nothing we can do about it so we may as well have a little bit of fun.”

Telstra successfully overturned Charles Sturt Council’s original decision last year to reject its application to build the tower.

See this article in the e-Edition Here